The Islamic University of Qassim
Many brothers think that the only Islamic Universities that allow non-Saudi students are Medina, Mecca or Riyadh.
Nevertheless, what they don’t know is that throughout the Kingdom, there are a lot of other Islamic Universities. Before 2010, there were indeed strictly reserved to Saudi students. But since 2010, the ministry of higher education declared through a signed mandate that it is compulsory for every university of the kingdom to allow at least 5% of non-Saudi students.
Among these universities, there is the very prestigious one of Qassim.
Here is a brief presentation of the Islamic University of Qassim:
Geographical location and demography
Qassim is one of the thirteen administrative provinces and is situated in the heart of the Kingdom between Riyadh in the northwest (about 300km) and Medina in the east (about 500km).
The region counts more than 400 cities; ten of them are recognized as governing cities.
Its capital is Buraidah with more than 600 000 inhabitants. In France, it would have been the third biggest city just in front of Lyon.
The second biggest city of the province is the well-known city of Unaizah; the city of our nobleman Sheikh al-Uthaymin (may Allah be merciful to him). One can still find there his maktaba and a whole center dedicated to his dawa.
The province of Qassim has a typical desert climate with cold and rainy winters, and hot and dry summers.
Qassim is worldly known for its delicious dates.
Religious situation of the region:
Historically known and recognized, the province of Qassim is a cradle of religious sciences in the Saudi Arabia Kingdom.
It is renowned for having had the greatest specialists in every religious sciences field:
- Al Aqidah (Dogma)
- Tafsir (Exegesis of the Holy Quran)
- Hadith (Prophetic stories)
- Fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence)
Among the scholars who had lived in the province of Qassim one can enumerate:
- ‘Abdur-Rahman bin Nasir al-Sa’di [d. 1367 BH]
- ‘Abdullah bin Muhammad al-Duwaysh [d. 1409 BH]
- Muhammad bin Salih al-’Uthaymin [d. 1421 of hegira]
- Uqla Humud bin Abdullah bin ‘«al-Shuaybi [d. 1422 of hegira]
- ‘Abdullah bin’ Abdur-Rahman al-Bassam [d. 1423 BH]
- Aqil Abdullah bin ‘Abdul-’ Aziz bin ‘[d. 1432 BH]
- ‘Abdur-Rahman bin Nasir al-Barrak
- Salih bin Fawzan al-Fawzan
- ‘Abdul-Muhsin bin Hamad al-’ Abbad
- ‘Abdullah bin Muhammad al-Ghunayman
- Muhammad bin Nasir al-Suhaybani
- ‘Abdul-Karim bin’ Abdullah al-Khoudayr
- ‘Abd Ar-Rahmân ibn’ Abdullah al-’Ajlan
- Yusuf bin Muhammad al-Ghafis
- Sulayman bin Nasir al-Ulwan
- Salman bin Fahad al-’Awda
- Nasir bin Sulayman al-’Umar
- ‘Abdur-Rahman bin Salih al-Mahmoud
- Khalid bin Ali al-Mushayqih
- Khalid bin Abdullah al-Muslih
- Ahmad bin ‘Abd Ar-Rahmân al-Qadhi
- ‘Abdullah bin Muhammad al-Tayyar
- ‘Abdullah bin Salih al-Fawzan
- Yusuf bin Abdullah al-Shubayli
- Ibrahim bin ‘Abdullah al-Duwaysh
Presentation of the University of Qassim :
The Islamic University of Qassim was created in 2004 through the fusion of some branches of the Riyadh University.
Nowadays, the university counts 28 campuses for man and woman students in the different cities of the region.
The number of students registered for the school year 2010-2011 was close to 50 000, and the teaching staff reached more than 4000 person.
The principal campus of the university is located in the center of the region, just outside Buraidah.
The administration office is in this campus.
The campus of Sharia and Islamic studies is located in the heart of the region, between Buraidah and Unaizah. Arabic language and Arabic language institute for non-Arabic-speakers can also be found in this campus.
In 2010, the Islamic University of Qassim started allowing non-Saudi scholarship holders to register.
Most of these students were from the Balkans (Bosnia, Kosovo and Albania) and from other regions like Africa or even Philippines.
Since, the university has known an increase of people applying from the whole world. Most of them are non-Arabic-speakers, and as so, they have to follow a two year program of Arabic language, just like in other Saudi universities.
After that, students have the possibility to register in the different branches of their choice.
The Sharia and Islamic studies branch is composed of four departments: Aqida, Tafsir, Hadith and Fiqh.
The student can choose to specialize in one of these departments. After having passed the high school diploma program, the student has the possibility to follow in higher education in one of the disciplines mentioned above.
Once accepted, the student receives the same advantages as the non-Saudi scholarship holders in other Saudi universities.
This includes: (this list is non-exhaustive)
- A student visa and residence permit
- A round-trip plane ticket by year in the country of origin
- A monthly allowance of 840 SR (900 SR for post graduate students)
- Free accommodation (for single students only)
- Free health care
- Discount meals
Registration process :
First of all, the admission requirements for the Islamic University of Qassim are the same as in every other Saudi university (maximum age is 25 years old, having a secondary school diploma, etc.).
Secondly, the only way to register at the Qassim University is to send the documents at the university by mail or fax. Indeed, unlike Medina University, online registration is not available yet.
Besides, there is no official application form that the university provides to non-Saudi applicants. Those who are interested should send the traditional list of requested documents, translated in Arabic (see the tab translation request) just as the following document:
- A letter in support of application, addressed to the dean of the university, where the student indicates his wish to study at this university. (wrote in Arabic or English)